Weddings are full of symbolic rituals and a number of key players are assigned particular assignments or titles for the wedding.
The principal players in every wedding are the bride and the groom. The bride and groom are the ones who assign everyone to their symbolic titles.
The groom’s best friend is named the best man. The best man’s counter part is the bride’s most reliable friend, the maid of honor.
Why should you have a maid of honor? In old wedding traditions, brides were expected to be virgins. Maid of honors were people who helped the bride keep her virginity, which in those days was given as a gift to the husband.
Responsibilities given to the Maid of Honor
Being the maid of honor can be a fashionable experience. However, there are some responsibilities or expectations for her leading up to the wedding and on the wedding day. The following list is 17 of the most common duties the maid of honor should be held accountable for during planning and day of the wedding.
1. The maid of honor should help the bride address and distribute all wedding invitations to guests. Sometimes, the maid of honor is also required to attend wedding announcements.
2. According to traditional wedding etiquette, maid of honors must try to attend to all the prenuptial parties.
3. If possible, it would be nice if the maid of honor organizes the couple’s shower for the soon-to-be bride and groom.
4. The maid of honor will assist the bride when going to buy her wedding dress.
5. To keep the bride-to-be stress level to a minimum, the maid of honor is expected to be on time during fitting appointments, rehearsals, and any other dates assigned by the bride.
6. The maid of honor will deal with the florists, purchase the rice, or any other supplies that will shower the bride and the groom as they leave the wedding venue. The maid of honor also makes sure that the flower girl is present and knows what she will do with the flowers.
7. On the wedding day, it is strictly written in all wedding etiquette guides that maid of honor arrive at the wedding venue, on time or earlier so she can assist the bride and bridesmaids while they are getting dressed. The maid of honor should be at least 2 hours ahead of everyone.
8. The maid of honor should brief the best man on his responsibilities.
9. The maid of honor, as wedding etiquettes have it, should take care of the bride’s train during the wedding and when she goes to the receiving line.
10. The maid of honor should hold the wedding bouquet when the bride and groom exchange rings. Do not, however, forget to hand back the bouquet after that part.
11. During double ring ceremonies, the maid of honor should carry the groom’s ring and hand it to the officiating minister.
12. Maid of honor follows traditions and wedding etiquettes to coordinate with the official wedding photographer and assist him in identifying the wedding party.
13. The maid of honor should be the witness in the signing of the marriage certificate.
14. The maid of honor is expected to stand with the couple in the receiving line. She should traditionally stand to the groom’s left side, and the bridesmaids should stand to her left.
15. Cooperate and coordinate with the best man.
16. She should help the bride and the groom with departure from the wedding ceremony and final departure from the reception.
17. The maid of honor should make sure and help out with the bride’s demands or designs suggested for her dress that is executed by the tailor.
The maid of honor should remember that she has a great responsibility in making sure that the wedding is wonderful for the bride. The best maid of honor who will put aside all of her needs to ensure that this is a memorable day for the bride.
Need help planning your wedding? Let us help you! Click here to schedule a consultation with us. We will help you plan the wedding of your dreams with the stress.